Become a Library member
Joining the Library is free, and you can register for a Library card quickly and easily online.
While the rarity of our collection means that you are not able to borrow items, you can browse many popular and recently published books and journals in our public reading rooms, and many items are available for interlibrary loan.
Join a vibrant and engaged community of more than 60,000 active library users. You can enjoy a range of member-only benefits, programs and services by signing up now.
Watch our video to learn more about Library membership benefits.
Library membership benefits
- Full database access from home (Vic residents only)
- Library membership provides you with free 24 x 7 online access to the Library’s subscriptions to hundreds of leading databases and hundreds of thousands of journals, papers, databases, ebooks and articles.
- Order digital copies and extracts
- Use your Library membership to log in and use our digital online copying service. You can order digital copies and extracts of Library collection items from any location, at any time.
- Access to closed collections
- Library members can retrieve and view rare collection items not available to casual Library patrons. Members can request items from our closed collections and from offsite storage.
- Extra search options
- Members can log in and save searches, provide comments and tags, and share searches with other members.
You can join, or renew your membership, online or by phone on 03 8664 7004. You can choose to have your Library card mailed (usually next day) or pick it up in person. We also process memberships and provide Library cards on the spot. See a member of staff at our main Information Centre desk (please bring proof of your identity and Victorian address).