Applications for the 2014 awards have now closed.
The R E Ross Trust Playwrights' Script Development Awards foster Victoria’s theatre industry by providing support to Victorian-based writers to develop their play scripts. The annual awards are an initiative of the R E Ross Trust and are administered by the State Library of Victoria.
The awards provide total annual prize money of $30,000, awarded as individual amounts of up to $10,000. In any given year, the judges may decide not to allocate the full prize money.
‘Script development’ for the purposes of the awards is defined as the development of a play as a work-in-progress through a workshop or workshops, or through some other interaction between the playwright and a director, dramaturg, script editor and/or actor(s). The focus is on text enhancement.
The workshop should be undertaken by or in association with a Victorian-based theatre company or group of individuals, director or dramaturg from Australia.
Other methods of script development identified by an applicant will be considered.
Funding for development of songs with a musical director and singers will not be considered.
Only playwrights can apply for the Awards. Applications should meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or over and reside in Victoria.
- Only one entry (one script) per playwright will be accepted.
- Submitted scripts must not have been previously produced, or have already had paid workshop development.
- Works of multiple authorship may be entered.
- Works may not be entered in the name of a committee.
Applications must include five copies of the script. Scripts must use a 12-point font, be single-sided and double-spaced, and have all pages numbered.
Each script must have attached to it:
- a photocopy of the completed application form
- a one-page synopsis of the play
- an outline of why the play would benefit from script development
- a short description of the proposed workshop process or method of script development including intended duration, working space and number of people involved
- written confirmation from the theatre company, group or individual that it is able and willing to undertake the workshop in the event of funding being available
- a brief curriculum vitae of the proposed director or dramaturg
Entries forwarded by fax or email will not be accepted. Entries will not be returned and the Library may contact playwrights to discuss accession of plays into the Library manuscript archive.
Successful applicants will be required to participate in the Flashpoint readings of their script in development at the State Library of Victoria and at fortyfivedownstairs if requested to do so. Support from the R E Ross Trust Playwrights' Script Development Awards must be acknowledged in marketing or presentation of the script either as a reading, print edition of production. Playwrights must provide a brief report on the nature and benefit of the script development activities undertaken, within 12 months from the announcement of their award.
For further information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 03 8664 7277.
The R E Ross Trust is a perpetual charitable trust established in Victoria in 1970 by the will of the late Roy Everard Ross. Since its inception, the R E Ross Trust has distributed over $90 million in grants for charitable purposes in Victoria.