The National Year of Reading encourages people of all ages to discover and rediscover the joy of reading during 2012.
The Library is proud to be a founding partner of the National Year of Reading.
In partnership with a host of other organisations that share our passion for reading, we've put together a year of exciting activities, programs and events for all ages, including:
- A nation of readers: the official National Year of Reading wrap-up event for Victoria
- the Australian Poetry Slam
- Writes of Spring: a short story competition for all ages
- Our Story: a national reading list of eight great Australian books, chosen by Australian readers
- The Reading Hour, when Australia comes together for an hour of communal reading on 25 August
- High Road to Reading: author tours of Victorian public libraries with free readings, discussions and workshops
- Australia's first children's laureates, Alison Lester and Boori Monty Prior, touring Victorian schools and libraries
- reading-themed public lectures and programs
- professional development seminars for public library staff
- Look! The art of Australian picture books today