State Library of Victoria > La Trobe Journal

No 68 Spring 2001

Fig. 14: oppostie page: A detail from sheet 8 of the Mahlstedt maps, originally dated 1924, with additions, presumably up to about 1948. The Melbourne Town Hall was gutted by fire in 1925, and the plan of the reconstructed building has been pasted on, showing that it now has fire sprinklers throughout, a concrete ceiling to the basement, and steel roof supports over the main hall. By contrast, Melbourne City Council Chambers, to the north, is completely unaltered, and the numbers in circles indicate the original two, three and five storey portions. In the heart of the block the 1881 rear building of the Victoria Coffee Palace, marked 'H' is unchanged, but the portion of what had now become now the Victoria Hotel, at 201-207 Little Collins Street, has been pasted on, as has the block marked 'G' to the west of Speights Lane. This appears to represent work done by the architect Alec Eggleston prior to 1929. Then the frontage of block G, at 223-231 Little Collins Street has been pasted over again along with the large block at 209 to 221, representing work done by Eggleston in 1934. On Collins Street the new Clyde House and Edwards Building are pasted on, and the Baptist Church is also pasted over, indicating the change when the shop at 174 was built, along with the glass roofed side passage and the offices at the rear of building. Map Collection, State Library of Victoria. [plan]

Fig. 14, opposite page: A detail from sheet 8 of the Mahlstedt maps, originally dated 1924, with additions, presumably up to about 1948. The Melbourne Town Hall was gutted by fire in 1925, and the plan of the reconstructed building has been pasted on, showing that it now has fire sprinklers throughout, a concrete ceiling to the basement, and steel roof supports over the main hall. By contrast, Melbourne City Council Chambers, to the north, is completely unaltered, and the numbers in circles indicate the original two, three and five storey portions. In the heart of the block the 1881 rear building of the Victoria Coffee Palace, marked ‘H’ is unchanged, but the portion of what had now become now the Victoria Hotel, at 201–207 Little Collins Street, has been pasted on, as has the block marked ‘G’ to the west of Speights Lane. This appears to represent work done by the architect Alec Eggleston prior to 1929. Then the frontage of block G, at 223–231 Little Collins Street has been pasted over again, along with the large block at 209 to 221, representing work done by Eggleston in 1934. On Collins Street the new Clyde House and Edwards Building are pasted on, and the Baptist Church is also pasted over, indicating the change when the shop at 174 was built, along with the glass roofed side passage and the offices at the rear of building. Map Collection, State Library of Victoria.