State Library of Victoria > La Trobe Journal

No 68 Spring 2001

Fig. 10: Detail of Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works plan no 43, Prahran, 160 ft: 1 inch, lithographed October 1895, copyrighted 19 February 1896. This shows a part of South Yarra, and on the other side of the Yarra, top left, a former bluestone quarry in the area that was later to be built up into Herring Island. The swamp at the top centre is what became Como Park, and the large house below is 'Como', with its kitchen and service court to the left, and the fences, walks, and drives of the garden as redesigned in about 1857 by William Sangster, with his quasi-octagonal gate lodge on Toorak Road, as well as the late nineteenth century tennis court to the north-west of the house. To the left, north from the end of Kensington Road, is the original house 'Bona Vista', later known as 'Grantham', built for Dr Edmund Hobson in 1846-8, and below it the new 'Bona Vista' of 1884. Public buildings of brick or stone are cross-hatched, others of brick or stone are diagonally hatched, and those of iron or timber are straight hatched either vertically or horizontally. Map Collection, State Library of Victoria. [plan]

Fig. 10: Detail of Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works plan no 43, Prahran, 160 ft: 1 inch, lithographed October 1895, copyrighted 19 February 1896. This shows a part of South Yarra, and on the other side of the Yarra, top left, a former bluestone quarry in the area that was later to be built up into Herring Island. The swamp at the top centre is what became Como Park, and the large house below is ‘Como’, with its kitchen and service court to the left, and the fences, walks, and drives of the garden as redesigned in about 1857 by William Sangster, with his quasi-octagonal gate lodge on Toorak Road, as well as the the late nineteenth century tennis court to the north-west of the house. To the left, north from the end of Kensington Road, is the original house ‘Bona Vista’, later known as Grantham’, built for Dr Edmund Hobson in 1846–8, and below it the new ‘Bona Vista’ of 1884. Public buildings of brick or stone are cross-hatched, others of brick or stone are diagonally hatched, and those of iron or timber are straight hatched either vertically or horizontally. Map Collection, State Library of Victoria.