State Library of Victoria > La Trobe Journal

No 31 April 1983

68

Select List of Accessions to the Australian Manuscripts Collection, 1982

  • AUSTRALIAN Frontier.
    • Records, 1960s-1982.
    • 11.35m.
    • Presented by Ms P. Thompson, Project Officer, Australian Frontier.
    • Australian Frontier was a research organisation concerned with social planning and policy which was sponsored by the Australian Council of Churches. Their records include correspondence, minutes, financial records, reports and surveys.
    69
  • AUSTRALIAN Pre-School Association. Victorian Branch.
    • Records, 1939–1981.
    • 2.21m.
    • Presented by Mrs. A. M. Farrance, Honorary Secretary, Australian Pre-School Association, Victorian Branch.
    • The Australian Association for Pre-School Child Development, now the Australian Pre-School Association, was established in 1939. The records of the Victorian Branch, established in 1948, include correspondence, minutes, newsletters and press-cuttings. Also included are some records of the national body and of other state branches.
  • BENSON, John.
    • Correspondence, 1852–1855.
    • 1cm.
    • Purchase.
    • In 1982 the Library purchased four letters of goldminer John Benson to add to four of his letters purchased in 1977. Written from “Read's Creek” (i.e. Reid's Creek) goldfield near Beechworth to his parents in Sydney, John Benson's letters provide a detailed account of the day to day life of a miner.
  • BIRD, Gwladys.
    • Papers.
    • 24cm.
    • Presented by Mrs. Gwladys Bird.
    • These papers, consisting of correspondence, ephemera, press cuttings and photographs, are concerned with resistance to Australia's involvement in the Vietnam War. Included are letters from the draft resisters Allan Dowsley, Ian Turner and Bill White.
  • BREAD and Cheese Club Art Group.
    • Records, 1945–1950.
    • 4.5cm.
    • Presented by Mrs. James Morgan.
    • The Bread and Cheese Club was established in 1938 to support Australian literature, art and music. The Art Group was formed in 1946 with the main objective being “to aid, develop, encourage and foster art in its various aspects and branches … ”
    • These records, which include members’ subscription books, correspondence, financial statements, exhibition programmes and press-cuttings, complement records of the Bread and Cheese Club already held in the Australian Manuscripts Collection and in the J. K. Moir Collection.
  • BUCKNALL family.
    • Correspondence, 1827–1880.
    • 2cm.
    • Presented by Mr. J. G. Bucknall.
    • Access restricted.
    • Edwin Gittins Bucknall, with his sons Edward and Stephen, took up land at Rodborough Vale near Maryborough, Victoria in 1844. This collection consists of letters from Bucknall family members within Victoria and also from Queensland, England and South Africa. Included are letters to and from the Bucknall children who were attending schools in Melbourne c.1849–1863.
  • HAMER, Hon. Sir Rupert James.
    • Papers.
    • 1.53m.
    • Presented by Sir Rupert Hamer.
    • Victorian Premier from 1971 to 1981, Sir Rupert Hamer had a long parliamentary career, which began with his election as M.L.C. for East Yarra Province in 1958. The papers Sir Rupert Hamer has donated to the Library are files of correspondence from his Kew Electorate office c.1969–1981, and letters received by him on his retirement as Premier of Victoria in 1981 and on receiving his knighthood in 1982.
  • HENRY Lawson Memorial and Literary Society.
    • Records, 1929–1982.
    • 87.5cm.
    • Presented by Mr. Harry H. Pearce on behalf of the Henry Lawson Memorial and Literary Society.
    • The Henry Lawson Memorial and Literary Society was formed in Melbourne c.1925 with the objects of encouraging interest in the works of Henry Lawson and in Australian literature generally. The records include minutes, correspondence, membership lists, financial records and a set of its monthly newsletter, The Lawsonian.
  • HENTY, Francis.
    • Papers.
    • 7cm.
    • Purchase.
    • The recent purchase of papers relating to the Francis Henty family and their property Merino Downs near Portland, complements the existing collection of Henty family papers presented to the Library in 1965. Included in the purchase are further letters from Peter Learmonth, manager of Merino Downs, to Francis Henty, between November 1854 and May 1857 which provide a detailed account of the day-to-day management of the property.
  • HERRING, Sir Edmund Francis.
    • Papers, c. 1860–1980.
    • 7m.
    • Presented by Dame Mary Herring, Mrs. D. Longfield and Miss Margaret Herring.
    • Access partly restricted.
    • Lieutenant-General Sir Edmund Herring was Chief Justice of Victoria, 1944–1964 and Lieutenant-Governor, 1945–1972. His papers document both his varied public career and his personal and family life.
  • HOWARD League for Penal Reform (Victorian Branch).
    • Records, c. 1931–1975.
    • 2m.
    • Presented by The Society of Friends.
    • The Howard League for Penal Reform traces its origins to the Howard Association established in England in 1866. The Victorian Branch of the League was formed in 1895, its object being the prevention and reduction of crime by the promotion of humane treatment of criminals. The League's records include minute books, correspondence, newspaper cuttings, annual reports and membership lists.
  • INDEPENDENT Order of Rechabites, Victorian District.
    • Records, 1871–1959.
    • 2.19m.
    • Presented by the Independent Order of Rechabites, Victorian District.
    • In 1977 the Library received a large collection of records from the Independent Order of Rechabites, Victorian District. Further records presented in 1982 include minutes of District Officers 1875–1959; of District Trustees 1909–1957; of the District Council 1871–1950; and of the Finance Committee 1904–1975 (incomplete).
  • IRELAND, George Richard.
    • Papers.
    • 18cm.
    • Purchase.
    • A pioneer of Australian theatre, George Ireland arrived in Melbourne in 1853 and soon began appearing in amateur productions with the Garrick Club before making his professional debut at the Theatre Royal in 1859. During his long career (his final stage appearance was in 1907) he played under many theatrical directors including Bland Holt, George Coppin and J. C. Williamson. He also formed his own troupe which performed in country centres.
    • The collection includes correspondence, verse, printed playbills and press-cuttings.
  • JUNGWIRTH, Sir William John.
    • Papers.
    • 2.5m.
    • Presented by Lady Jungwirth.
    • Access subject to sorting.
    • One of Victoria's longest-serving senior public servants, Sir John Jungwirth was Private Secretary to Victorian premiers from 1922 to 1932, and Secretary of the Premier's Department from 1935 to 1962. Included in this first instalment of Sir John's papers received by the Library are working papers for his inquiry into the Public Library of Victoria which he conducted in 1963/64, and which led to the establishment of the Library Council of Victoria in 1966.
  • KING family.
    • Daybooks, 1844–1863.
    • 2 volumes.
    • 7cm.
    • Donated by Mr. Phillip Parker King through Mr. Bain Attwood.
    • These daybooks kept by members of the John King family relate to the management of their pastoral runs in Gippsland — Fulham, Rosedale and Snake's Ridge — and provide an interesting record of farm life in nineteenth century Victoria.
  • LUBBOCK, Hon. Mrs. Adelaide.
    • Papers.
    • 70cm.
    • Presented by The Right Honourable the Lord Avebury.
    • Adelaide Lubbock was the daughter of Sir Arthur Stanley, Governor of Victoria from 1914 to 1920. Her papers include correspondence, photographs, scrapbooks kept by her parents during their period of office in Victoria, manuscripts of her autobiography People in glass houses, and journals kept during her trips to Australia, 1953–1980. These papers complement the Library's existing holdings of Stanley Family papers.
  • MACKINNON family.
    • Papers.
    • 51cm.
    • Presented by Mrs. J. Mackinnon.
    • In 1974 the Library received a large collection of station records and personal papers documenting the history of the Daniel Mackinnon family and their Western District property Marida Yallock, for the period 1854 to 1945. The papers recently donated fill some gaps in the collection and cover several new areas. Of particular interest are letters written home during the 1870s and 1880s by Donald and James Mackinnon whilst studying at Geelong Grammar School and at Oxford and Cambridge universities.
  • McMEEKIN, J. & P. J.
    • Farm records, 1895–1936.
    • 1.19cm.
    • Presented by Mr. J. O. Randell.
    • Access partly restricted.
    • The management of the McMeekin's property, Ournie Station, Upper Murray via Albury from 1895 to 1936 is documented in these farm diaries, stock books and financial records. Also included are letters from John Franklin McMeekin, written to his family between 1915 and 1918 whilst on active serice with the 13th Artillery Battery, 1st A.I.F. in Egypt, France and Belgium.
  • MARYBOROUGH Congregational Church.
    • Records, 1859–1977.
    • 1.84m.
    • Presented by Mr. J. C. Harkin.
    • The records of the Maryborough Congregational Church have been presented by the last minister of the church, Mr. J. C. Harkin. The collection includes minute books 1866–1972, marriage certificates 1913–1975, attendance rolls 1895–1972 and Sunday School registers. The Library also holds the records of the Congregational Union of Victoria which were presented in 1971 together with records from several individual churches.
  • PUBLIC Library Society of Victoria.
    • Minute book, 21 September 1950 — 8 May 1957.
    • 3cm.
    • Presented by Mr. H. A. Rooksby.
    • This minute book records a meeting called on 21 September 1950 “to discuss the possibility of forming
      70
      a Society of Friends of the Public Library of Victoria”. The inaugural meeting of the Society took place on 30 April 1951, its stated aim being “to stimulate and sustain public interest in, and to assist the Public Library of Victoria”. Both the Society's Council meetings and its Executive Committee meetings are minuted, and copies of annual reports and the Society's constitution are included.
  • ROYAL Australasian Ornithologists Union.
    • Papers.
    • 1.60m.
    • On permanent loan from the Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union.
    • Further papers of Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union members were added to this collection in 1982, including the papers of A. W. Lush, R. A. Noske, P. N. Reilly and W. R. Wheeler. The entry for the R.A.O.U. papers in the April 1982 issue of the La Trobe Library journal read in part “… Letters from Dr. MacGillvray to W. K. McLean” which should have read “… letters from Dr. McGillivray to W. R. McLennan”.
  • ROYAL Australasian Ornithologists Union.
    • Records, 1901–1979.
    • 8.2m.
    • On permanent loan from the Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union.
    • In 1982 the Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union also deposited their official records which document the Union's activities from 1901 to 1979. They include minutes, correspondence, financial documents and membership files.
  • ST. MARK'S Church, Fitzroy.
    • Records, 1847–1982.
    • 3.37m.
    • On permanent loan from St. Mark's Church, Fitzroy. St. Mark's Anglican Church was opened for services on 21 January 1855, but from May 1849 services had been conducted in the Girls’ School, and from 1852 in the adjoining Boys’ School. The records include correspondence, minute books, preachers’ books, financial records, photographs, baptism and marriage registers, and registers of burials.
  • STANLEY, Sir Arthur Lyulph, Baron Sheffield.
    • Diary, November 1913 — March 1915.
    • 2.5cm.
    • Purchase.
    • Sir Arthur Stanley was Governor of Victoria from 1914 to 1920. The diary describes the period of his appointment as Governor, his preparations for leaving England, the voyage to Australia, and arrival in Melbourne on 23 February 1914. The rest of the diary provides a detailed account of social and political life in Melbourne. Commonwealth politics are also discussed, as Stanley was in close contact with the Governor-General, Sir Ronald Munro-Ferguson and members of the Commonwealth Government then based in Melbourne.
  • TEMPORARY Teachers’ Club of the Victorian Teachers’ Union.
    • Records, 1954–1960.
    • 6cm.
    • Presented by Mrs. V. Reilly.
    • The Temporary Teachers’ Club of the Victorian Teachers’ Union was formed in 1955, with its major aim being to secure permanency for married women in the teaching service which was achieved under legislation passed in 1956. The Club continued to function until 1960. The records documenting the activities of the Club include a minute book, correspondence, membership lists and financial documents.
  • TROEDEL and Cooper Pty. Ltd.
    • Records, 1897–1970.
    • 5m.
    • Presented by DRG McLaren Packaging.
    • The printing firm which became Troedel and Cooper Pty. Ltd. began in 1863 when the German lithographer Charles Troedel commenced business at premises in Collins Street. By 1877 he was also trading in Sydney and in 1891 he formed a partnership with Edward Cooper. The records which have been added to those presented by Mr. Troedel in 1968 consist of wage and salary books, ledgers, stock reports and records of company assets.
71

Select List of Accessions to the Picture Collection, 1982

  • ARMSTRONG, Marion D.
    • Photographs of the Armstrong family. 1909–1925. 272 photographs.
    • Presented by Miss M. D. Armstrong.
    • The photographs show the family of Thomas Henry Armstrong, Bishop of Wangaratta. They complement two albums of photographs already held in the Picture Collection which are the work of Bishop Armstrong.
    72
  • COOPER, Duncan Elphinstone, artist.
    • Stoneleigh, New House at Warrapinja, drawn for William Lewis, Beaufort, 1887. 1887. Watercolour.
    • Titled, signed and dated lower left.
    • Purchased.
    • In 1842 Duncan Elphinstone Cooper became a partner with George and Henry Thompson in Challicum station. In April 1848 Cooper took over the southern third of Challicum, which then became Warrapinjoe. In 1853 he sold his interest to William Lewis, nephew to George Russell of Golf Hill. The house depicted in the watercolour was built in the 1860s. The picture was painted in England, possibly from a photograph. Although Cooper presented books to the Library in the 1870s and 1880s, prior to this purchase the Library had no work by him.
  • COOKE, Albert Charles (1836–1902), artist.
    • Theodore and Christopher Ballerstedt. c.1869. Oil on canvas.
    • Purchased.
    • This picture commemorates the Bendigo quartz reef miners, Theodore Ballerstedt and his son Christopher, and is one of the few oils known to be by A. C. Cooke. This picture formed the central theme of the recent exhibition, “Dreams of a golden harvest”, and in acquiring it the Library continued to build on one of its strengths, visual records of the gold era in Victoria.
  • CRAIG, Sybil.
    • Portrait of Leonard Slade. 1934. Pastel. Signed and dated.
    • Presented by Sybil Craig.
    • Leonard Slade, bookseller, was born at Clunes, Victoria, in 1859 and died at Melbourne in 1954. He entered the book trade as a junior in the book department of the Religious Tract Society in Swanston Street, Melbourne in 1874. In 1875 he joined with Samuel Mullen and later became a partner in Melville, Mullen and Slade. He stayed with the firm which later became Melville and Mullen and then Robertson and Mullens Ltd. until 1939.
  • CROLL, I. C. H.
    • Albums of photographs. c. 1920–1930. 5 albums.
    • Presented by Mrs. I. C. Croll.
    • Three of the albums relate to the scouting activities of Mr. Croll.
  • CUMMING family.
    • Photographs of the Cumming and Affleck families and views of the properties Mt. Fyans and Myrngrong. c.1890–1923. 78 copies of photographs. Lent for copying by Mr. W. Cumming.
  • JONES, Albert.
    • Collection of glass negatives. c.1910. 178 glass negatives.
    • Purchase.
    • The photographs, the work of Albert Jones of Wattle Glen, are of the people and places near Hurstbridge and Diamond Creek.
  • LINDT, John William (1845–1926), photographer.
    • Collection of glass negatives, some of which are by J. W. Lindt.
    • c.1880-c.1930. 164 glass negatives.
    • Purchase.
    • Included in this superb collection are views of Melbourne and suburbs, Fernshaw and surrounding areas.
    • Portrait of Rev. J. S. Waugh. c.1880. Cabinet photograph.
    • Presented by Mr. John Holroyd.
    • On the verso of the photograph is a finely illustrated advertisement for Lindt's Studio, 7 Collins Street East, Melbourne showing a view of Melbourne.
  • McKAIL, Idalia, artist.
    • Two sketchbooks of water colours and pencil drawings. 1908–1911. Presented by St. Edward's Church of England, Blackburn South. The sketchbooks are the work of a student at the National Gallery School.
  • MARTIN, William (1858–1927), architect.
    • Books of architectural tracings and sketches mainly of European domestic and ecclesiastical architecture. 1879–1881. 4 notebooks. Presented by Mr. P. Bassett-Smith.
    • William Martin was born in England in 1858 and died at his home in Woolwich, Sydney, in 1927. As a young man he was articled by a London architect where possibly many of the sketches were prepared. In his early twenties he travelled to Australia passing through Cape Town, Hobart and Auckland, where he stayed for a short time. Being keen to see Sydney Harbour he came to Sydney where he settled and gained employment, finishing up as Chief Draftsman with the N.S.W. Department of Mines.
  • SILK THEATRE PROGRAMME.
    • Silk theatre programme advertising a performance of the farce Rendezvous, at the Albert Theatre, Corio Street, Geelong, on Thursday December 19, 1844. Purchased with funds provided by the Friends of the La Trobe Library.
    • The Albert Theatre was converted from wooden storerooms and lack of proper facilities restricted the number and quality of dramatic performances in Geelong. The 1844 season of Mr. Boyd's plays began with a performance of Middy ashore, or a Spree upon land, and closed with a benefit for Messrs. Capper and Jacobs in the comedy The idiot witness, or a Tale of blood, on 1 February 1845. This theatre programme is the earliest printed on silk which the Library possesses.
  • RUSSELL, Robert (1808–1900), artist.
    • Ships and River Yarra Wharves, Melbourne. 1886. Watercolour. Signed and dated.
    • Purchased.
    • This painting by Russell adds to the Library's considerable holdings of Russell watercolours. The viewpoint is from the south side of the river, looking towards the Customs House with the Supreme Court dome in the background. The picture shows a city teeming with street life, horses and carts in the foreground, men with picks and shovels, and in the distance the streets crowded with pedestrains.
  • TURNER, Henry Gyles.
    • Places visited in 1888. 1888-c.1940. Album.
    • Purchase.
    • The album records an overseas trip made by Turner in 1888 and a “pedestrian tour” to the Bright area in Victoria during the same period. Most of the photographs from the trip to Bright are the work of the photographer, N. J. Caire. The album was subsequently purchased by Gordon R. Smith from Mrs. Ellis Bird, bookseller, Bourke Street, Melbourne. Smith added his own photographs to the album.
  • WILLIAMS, Anthony.
    • Photographs of public sculpture in and around Melbourne. 1976–1980.
    • 199 photographs.
    • Presented by Mr. Anthony Williams.
    • The photographs taken between 1976 and 1980 show the statues, sculptures and fountains of Melbourne.