State Library of Victoria > La Trobe Journal

No 21 April 1978

20

Select List of Accessions to the Australian Manuscript Collection, 1977

  • AUSTRALIA — CEYLON FELLOWSHIP
    • Records, 1957-1968 including minutes, journal, ledger and newsletter.
    • 7.5 cm. original ms. and printed.
    • Pres. by Australia-Ceylon Fellowship.
    • The Australia-Ceylon Fellowship was formed in December 1957 to assist the migration and integration of Ceylonese settlers in Australia and to encourage understanding between the people of Ceylon and Australia. Includes the minutes of the foundation of the Fellowship.
  • CHILDREN'S WELFARE ASSOCIATION OF VICTORIA
    • Records, 1915-1973.
    • 1.2 m. original ms. and printed.
    • Deposited by the Children's Welfare Association of Victoria through Rev. Dennis Oakley.
    • Founded in 1912, the C.W.A. is now affiliated with a wide range of voluntary and government institutions and has conducted many investigations into the maltreatment of children in our community, and methods of their care. Irregular runs of annual reports, financial reports, conference proceedings correspondence 1944-1973 and publicity material for Child Care Week document the work of this organisation.
  • CLENDINNING-REDE FAMILY
    • Papers.
    • 4 cm. original ms. and typescript.
    • Pres. by Mrs. S. Ebbott.
    • Martha Jane Clendinning and her husband Dr. George Clendinning arrived in Port Phillip from England in 1852. Martha's lively reminiscences describe life on the Ballarat diggings together with a detailed description of the first Church of England in Ballarat and an account of the Eureka uprising. Their daughter Margaret married Robert Rede, a controversial figure in his early career as goldfields commissioner at Bendigo and Ballarat. Correspondence of both Margaret and Robert Rede is represented in the collection along with that of their son Capt. Roger Rede.
  • COLE, Edward William
    • Papers, including correspondence, newspaper cuttings and photographs relating to Cole's Book Arcade.
    • 8.5 cm. original ms. and printed.
    • Pres. by Mr. E. Cole.
    • E. W. Cole (1832-1918) started his career as a bookseller with a second-hand bookstall in the Eastern Market in 1865 but with flamboyant salesmanship soon progressed to a Bourke St. store and to Cole's Walk between Bourke and Little Collins St., incorporating toy shops and humorous displays. He published several pamphlets on current social issues as well as the famous Cole's funny picture book first published in 1879. These papers include his advertisement for a wife and correspondence with his wife Eliza and daughters Ruby and Ada. A fine collection of photographs illustrate the growth of Cole's Book Arcade.
  • DAINTREE, Richard
    • Fieldbooks, c.1861-1863.
    • 5 cm. xerox copies and photoprints.
    • Copied from original manuscripts in the possession of Mr. M. Hiscock.
    • Richard Daintree, 1832-1878, and his assistant Charles Smith Wilkinson, 1843-1891, carried out geological surveys of Bacchus Marsh, the Brisbane Ranges and the Werribee River area in the period from 1861-1863. The two field-books which record their findings consist of a series of maps and lists of specimens including fossils now held in the National Museum.
  • DANIEL FAMILY
    • Papers.
    • 8 cm. original ms.
    • Pres. by Mrs. S. McCarthy and Mrs. D. McLean.
    • The Daniel family travelled to Australia on the Atheneum arriving in Melbourne in 1852. A family of prolific letter and diary-writers, James D. Daniel records his life at Bulla Bulla, on the Ovens goldfields and Jackson's Creek in the 1850's; Mark Edmund Daniel kept diaries commenting on Melbourne events 1850-60 and 1884-87; and Maud Mayhew describes a trip on horseback through the Gippsland hills c.1890. In addition much family correspondence spanning 1850-1890 has been preserved including some sketches and financial documents.
  • FRENCH, Acheson Jeremiah
    • Diary and letterbook, 1841-1862.
    • 2v. original ms.
    • Bequeathed by Mr. M. H. de F. ffrench.
    • A. J. French, 1810-1870, was police magistrate at The Grange, Western Victoria, 1840-1847, devoting his time after this period to his property at Hamilton, Monivae Station. His papers reflect his dual pastoral and political interests, containing shearing and stock records as well as official correspondence with C. J. La Trobe, members of the Henty family and various members of Parliament. The letter-book also includes French's correspondence with the major Melbourne newspapers on the issues of religious education and the national school system.
  • FRIENDS OF THE LA TROBE LIBRARY
    • Papers, 1965-1967.
    • 2 cm. original ms. and typescript.
    • Pres. by the Friends of the La Trobe Library.
    • Following the opening of the La Trobe Library in March 1965, a seminar was arranged by
      21
      Dr. Geoffrey Serle in August to discuss the formation of a Society of the Friends of the La Trobe Library, an interim committee being formed on 16 November, 1966. The correspondence between the foundation members has been preserved together with newspaper cuttings and some minutes.
  • GEELONG AND DUTIGALLA ASSOCIATION
    • Papers of the Geelong and Dutigalla Association, 1835-1836.
    • I v. original ms. and printed.
    • Purchase.
    • This volume was compiled from papers in the possession of Joseph Ball and George Mercer, the agents of the Association in Britain and thus gives insight into Anglo-Australian relations at the time of the colonization of Port Phillip and as it attempted to secede from the Government of New South Wales. J. J. Gellibrand, the Association's lawyer writes to Ball 19 February 1836 giving his first impressions of the colony of which he says’… I never saw such a beautiful country in my life …’ A letter between Mercer and Ball, 25 February, 1836 discusses the strained relationship between the Association and the Principal Secretary of the Colonial Office, Lord Glenelg. Further official transcripts continue the debate on secession, with the Association's claim backed by land deeds and a map of the territory acquired from the aborigines, 6 June 1835.
  • GIFFORD, Kenneth Harril
    • Correspondence, mostly relating to the Jindy-worobak Movement, 1941-1944.
    • 6.5 cm. xerox copies.
    • Copied from original manuscripts in the possession of Mr. K. H. Gifford, Q.C.
    • The Jindyworobak Movement founded by Rex Ingamells was a literary movement, especially of poets, guided by the concept that Australian culture must be based on the Australian environment. Kenneth Gifford, better known for his publications on legal subjects, became Victorian State Editor for Jindyworobak Publications in 1944. Included in the collection is poetry by Gifford; letters from Ingamells; letters relating to Meanjin Papers; and letters from Wilfred Hudson, Ian Mudie and Victor Kennedy.
  • HENDERSON, Alex. N.
    • Papers, mainly architectural plans, specifications and related correspondence.
    • c. 1889-1965.
    • 11.1 m. original ms.
    • Pres. by Mr. A. N. Henderson.
    • Alex Henderson is a Melbourne architect who has worked in various partnerships undertaking commissions in metropolitan and country areas throughout Victoria. His general practice included a wide variety of buildings such as banks, factories, schools, churches and private houses. Among the plans held by the library are those for University High School, Parkville; a competitive design for the Church of England Grammar School Geelong; and a series of projects for the City of St. Kilda.
  • HENDERSON, William Alexander
    • Diaries and letters, 1915-1919.
    • 24 cm. original ms.
    • Pres. by Mrs. Lorna Scarff.
    • W. A. Henderson, a Melbourne architect, served in the 1st Australian Imperial Force in France, commanding the 5th Field Company Engineers and the 1st Pioneer Battalion. His four diaries and the complete set of his long and frequent letters to his wife, 1915-1919, provide a detailed account of his experiences during the First World War. They were written on active service in France, and on leave in England, Belgium and Italy. The collection also contains postcards, photographs and printed ephemera.
  • HENTY FAMILY
    • Papers relating to the Henty Family c. 1829-1882.
    • 11 cm. original ms.
    • Purchase.
    • These papers of the Henty's document the family's initial settlement at Swan River, Western Australia in 1829, their failure subsequently to obtain land grants in Van Dieman's Land and their eventual settlement at Portland Bay in Victoria. The sixty items include family agreements concerning land ownership; petitions; indentures; miscellaneous autograph letters; and a large ‘Chronological Tree of Melbourne History’ signed by Edward Henty.
  • HOLDING, (Allan) Clyde
    • Papers, 1958-1976.
    • 1.4 m. original ms. and printed.
    • Pres. by Mr. A. C. Holding.
    • Clyde Holding, LL.B. (b. 1931), a member of the Legislative Assembly for Richmond since 1962 became Leader of the Victorian State Opposition 1967-1976. In 1977 he resigned from State Parliament and was elected for the Federal seat of Melbourne Ports. The material in this collection was gathered during his years in the Victorian Parliament and comprises Australian Labor Party press releases; correspondence from Holding's office files; reference on industrial and social issues such as company takeovers, police and prisoners, and women's rights.
  • HOWITT FAMILY
    • Correspondence c. 1839-1882.
    • 0.5 cm. original ms.
    • Purchase.
    • Dr. Godfrey Howitt, younger brother of William Howitt, travelled with his family to Port Phillip in 1839, settling on Yarra Farm, previously owned by Richard Howitt. Letters
      22
      he received from fellow naturalists William Valentine and John Percy have been preserved, as well as several from Richard and William Howitt on such subjects as the ownership of his property and Australian control of immigration. A detailed letter from John Henry Howitt to A. W. Howitt in 1842 reveals a child's view of life in the Colony, describing bushrangers, schooling and the Plenty District.
  • INDEPENDENT ORDER OF RECHABITES, Victorian District
    • Records 1847-1970.
    • 22 m. original ms. and printed.
    • This Temperance Society was founded in Lancashire, England in 1835, the first Australian Tent being established in Sydney in 1839 and the Victorian District declared on 28 January 1861, starting with 66 members. The bulk of this large collection comprises official records produced in the course of the activities of the Victorian District Council and individual Tents: minute books, correspondence and letterbooks; financial records; reports; membership records and printed matter. Records of 192 defunct tents are represented in the collection.
  • IRVING, Colonel Sybil Howy
    • Papers.
    • 94 cm. original ms.
    • Pres. by Ms. Patsy Adam-Smith.
    • Restricted.
    • The war-time controller of the Australian Women's Army Service, Miss Sybil Irving (1897-1973) had no formal career training. Secretary of the Girl Guide Association from 1924-1940, she joined the Red Cross in 1940 as an administrator but left the following year to establish the A.W.A.S. attaining the rank of Colonel in 1947. It is this war-time period of her career that is documented by her collection of notes, booklets and photographs. Colonel Irving later returned to the Red Cross and served as general secretary of the Victorian Division until her retirement in 1959.
  • LAMBERT, Eric
    • Papers comprising manuscripts and correspondence relating to Lambert's novel Twenty thousand thieves, press cuttings and photographs.
    • 50 cm. original ms. and printed.
    • Purchase.
    • Eric Frank Lambert (1921-1966), a prolific Australian novelist of the 1940's and ‘50's drew on his war experiences in the Middle East to write his anti-war novel Twenty thousand thieves, published in Melbourne in 1951. An extensive collection of letters from English and Australian literary critics accompanies the typescript copy of the novel offering their analysis of this and later works. The processes of the author are also revealed by a series of drafts of various chapters from his writings and by comparison with Lambert's diary, kept while on active service in 1941.
  • LINDSAY, Sir Lionel
    • Letters to Peter Lindsay from Dr. Ursula Hoff 1959-1977 and a collection of photographs mostly of Lionel Lindsay.
    • 0.5 cm. original ms.
    • Pres. by Mr. Peter Lindsay.
    • Restricted.
    • To the already substantial collection of Lindsay papers in the La Trobe Library have been added this collection of letters predominantly from Dr. Ursula Hoff but also from Eric Westbrook and Prof. Joseph Burke. The photographs which accompany the letters include one of Lionel Lindsay at work on a woodcut and sensitive portraits of many members of the Lindsay family, as well as of Albert Dorrington, the Dysons, Henry Lawson and Sir Robert Menzies.
  • MELBOURNE NEWSBOYS’ CLUB
    • Records 1897-1976, including roll books, minute books, correspondence, reports, newspaper cuttings and photographs.
    • 1.2 m. original ms. and printed.
    • Pres. by Melbourne Newsboys’ Club Foundation.
    • An offshoot of the William Forster Try Youth Clubs, this society was founded in 1893 and is considered the third oldest boys’ club in Melbourne. It was formed to assist newspaper boys in their schooling and to provide a meeting place and cheap meals. Amongst the correspondence are letters from Miss Edith Onians, an honorary welfare worker with the club 1897-1898 and from Lady Helena Stradbroke, president 1920-1926.
  • PANTON FAMILY
    • Papers relating to Joseph Panton and Miss Alice Panton.
    • 25.5 cm. original ms.
    • Pres. by Mr. W. L. Mann from the estate of the late Mr. J. L. Muir.
    • J. A. Panton (1831-1913) was a commissioner on the Bendigo goldfields in the early 1850's and was noted for his work there for the Chinese. He carried out geological surveys and mapped much of the Yarra Valley, becoming Senior Police Magistrate in Melbourne 1874-1907. Panton was also active in the Victorian Artists’ Society. His daughter Alice was a well-known painter and several of her paintings are held by the La Trobe Library. The collection comprises correspondence, maps and plans, newspaper cuttings, biographical material and photographs.
  • PARKHILL, Peter
    • Traditional music of migrant groups in Australia.
    • 20 tape recordings with typescript synopses.
    • Pres. by Mr. Peter Parkhill.
    • Peter Parkhill began his project to record the
      23
      music and folklore of Australian ethnic groups in May 1973, receiving a Government grant in June 1974 which enabled him to continue his work until 1977. The tapes acquired by the La Trobe Library Oral History Programme represent Greek, Macedonian, Turkish, Italian, Arabian and Cretan music and were recorded in private homes and in ethnic clubs.
  • ROYAL AUSTRALIAN PLANNING
  • INSTITUTE — Victorian Division
    • Records, 1949–1973.
    • 59 cm. original ms. and printed.
    • Pres. by the Royal Australian Planning Institute.
    • The problem of Post-War Development stimulated the Australian Government to pass legislation to set up planning authorities at a State level. The inaugural meeting of the Planning Institute of Australia in Melbourne, September 1944 listed among its objects the encouragement and reward of the study of town, regional and industrial planning, the lobbying of government and public bodies and the promotion of law reform in this area. The reports, correspondence and minute books of the Institute provide a detailed record of the profession's growth and of the many Australian Congresses on town planning in the post-war period.
  • TAINSH, William Alexander
    • Scrapbooks of press cuttings, correspondence and printed ephemera, 1918–1945 relating to William Tainsh.
    • 13 cm. original ms. and printed.
    • Pres. by Mrs. M. Mander
    • William Tainsh, born in Perthshire, Scotland, in 1880, became a central figure of the Scottish community in Melbourne through his nostalgic poetry, journal articles and Sunday evening broadcasts on Melbourne radio. His two scrapbooks contain many of his articles as well as the appreciative letters sent to him. Tainsh was secretary of the Savage Club (formed in 1894) and produced the club's first revue.
  • VICTORIAN CHILDREN'S AID SOCIETY
    • Records, 1893–1976.
    • 3.2 m. original ms. and printed.
    • Deposited by the Children's Aid Society through Rev. Dennis Oakley.
    • Restricted.
    • The Victorian Children's Aid Society grew out of the work of the Presbyterian Society for Neglected and Destitute Children in Melbourne, led by Miss S. M. M. Sutherland. It became a non-sectarian society in 1894 with its headquarters at Swinburne House 1901–1966. The official minutes and financial records cover most of the Society's period of existence together with confidential case histories, court committals, fostering and adoption records.
  • WHITEHEAD FAMILY
    • Records of properties Butherwah, Urana and Colombo Creek, Jerilderie, New South Wales, 1892–1940.
    • 1.2 m. original ms.
    • Pres. by Mr. Robin Whitehead.
    • Rose Ann Whitehead (nee Flanagan) inherited both these properties on the death of her first husband Lachlan McBean Grant and continued to manage them with her second husband Francis Ernest Whitehead and their four sons. The papers comprise letter books, journals, cash books, stock records and photographs, providing a detailed record of the early history of these Riverina district properties.
  • WILLIAMSON, J. C. Ltd.
    • Accounts, 1915–1926.
    • 1.4 m. original ms.
    • Pres. by J. C. Williamson Ltd.
    • James Cassius Williamson (1845–1913) and his wife Maggie (1851–1926) having worked as actors in their native country of America, came to Australia in August 1874 to perform the play Struck Oil under contract to George Coppin. The Williamsons established themselves as theatrical entrepreneurs in Melbourne, forming a partnership with Arthur Garner and George Musgrove in 1882. These weekly statements of takings at performances in theatres managed by J. C. Williamson, 1915–1926 include the Theatre Royal and Her Majesty's Theatre.
  • WIDDOP, Matthew
    • Notebook, September-December, 1862.
    • 1.5 cm. original ms. and printed.
    • Purchase.
    • Matthew Widdop left Melbourne for the gold-fields on 15 September 1862 and travelled around the St. Arnaud claims to assist in assays and other aspects of mining. His brief notes outline the procedures he followed in testing the ore, and list some of his provisions.
  • WOORIWYRITE homestead, Terang
    • Plans of house and grounds (c. 1884–85)
    • 7 plans photographic copies.
    • Copied from originals in the possession of Mr. James Morrison and Miss Mary Turner Shaw. The Wooriwyrite property, 10 miles southwest of Darlington, came into the ownership of Thomas Anderson and Thomas Shaw in March 1854. The house was built in the mid-1880's with a further wing added later. Edward La Trobe Bateman who executed the sketches at Lt Trobe's Cottage, Jolimont, held by the La Trobe Library, was responsible for the two large plans of the proposed house and gardens. The larger-scale house plans were drawn up by Alexander Hamilton.
24

Accessions to the Historical Picture Collection, 1977

  • LANE, Henry Bowyer — The Buckland near the camp, 1862. Watercolour.
    Signed lower left on mount “H. B. Lane delt.: 1862”. Title on mount.
    Purchase.
    This shows Chinese miners leaving the town of Buckland for the nearby diggings where one of the worst riots in Victoria against the Chinese took place in 1857. H. B. Lane was a miner but little else is known about him.
  • LANE, Henry Bowyer — Camping ground near Avenel. Victoria. Australia. 1853. Water-colour. Signed lower left on mount “H. B. Lane. delt.: 1853”.
    Title on mount.
    Purchase.
    Avenel owes its existence to the fact that it was a convenient stopping place between Seymour and Euroa on what is now the Hume Highway.
  • CERES Mill on the Yarra. Circa 1900. Artist unknown. Pencil drawing on tinted paper, heightened with white. Unsigned. Title lower left. Presented by T. N. M. Buesst Esq.
  • CLARKE, C. C. (pseud, Ismir) — Our tent, Castlemaine 1854. Pencil and wash.
    Signed lower left “Clarke”. Title lower right “Our tent Castlemaine 1854” superimposed on title “Castlemaine 1855”. Attributed to C. C. Clarke.
    Purchase.
    A simple documentary drawing, it is the seventh item by this artist now in the Historical Collection.
  • MATTHEW Flinders Measured Drawings Competition 1977.
    The Matthew Flinders Bi-Centenary Celebrations Council sponsors this competition biannually for the measurement and drawing of important historic buildings. Together with material from the 1975 competition collection, these drawings form a most useful source of information about the architecture of Victoria. They are the property of the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) and are on long-term loan with the State Library where they are available for inspection.
  • HERALD Newspaper Collection. Circa 1940-mid 1960.
    Presented by Herald & Weekly Times Ltd.
    This is a continually expanding collection of photographic discards from the Herald library. It includes photographs of many aspects of mid-twentieth century Australian society from politics to sport and fills a gap in the Historical collection for that period. To date there are approximately 6,000 photographs.
  • MINA and May Moore Collection of photographs. Circa 1908–1920.
    Presented by Mrs. M. Manders.
    Mina and May Moore were professional photographers who were particularly interested in the theatre. This collection is valuable for its portraits of actors and actresses and also of musicians, artists and writers. Many of their portraits were published in contemporary periodicals. It consists of approximately 1,800 photographs.
  • RUDD, Charles (photographer) — Collection of 570 photographs of Australia and New Zealand, a large proportion of which are of Melbourne and suburbs.
    Purchase.
    This is a good visual record of places, buildings and events between about 1885 and 1910. Each photograph has been annotated.