State Library of Victoria > La Trobe Journal

No 3 April 1969

[Back matter]

inside back cover

THE LA TROBE LIBRARY

is a section of the State Library of Victoria and is Victoria's chief research-centre and reference library for Australian history and literature. It is the State's principal repository for manuscript material, historical paintings, newspapers, etc. relating to the history of Australia and the Pacific and especially Victoria.
The Government of Victoria, as a centenary gesture in 1951, decided to house the Australiana collection in a separate wing to commemorate the courage and enterprise of the State's pioneers. The building was completed and the Library opened in 1965.

FRIENDS OF THE LA TROBE LIBRARY

is a society founded in 1966. Its aims are to publicise the Library, to attract financial support for it, to help to fill gaps in the book-collection, and to encourage the donation of manuscript and other material.
With regard to the last objective, the Friends seek to locate diaries, letters and other family or institutional papers which have survived, and to acquire such material for the Library or to arrange to have it photocopied by negotiation with the owners.
The Friends’ office-bearers are: President, Tristan Buesst, Esq.; Vice-President, Professor A.G.L. Shaw; Hon. Treasurer, S.R.C. Wood, Esq.; Hon. Secretary and Editor, Dr. Geoffrey Serle; Librarian, Miss Patricia Reynolds (La Trobe Librarian).
New Friends will be welcomed, especially if they are prepared to be active Friends. The annual subscription is $3 (which includes the Journal). The Friends’ address is c/o State Library of Victoria, Swanston Street, Melbourne, 3000.
back cover