Find your way through the sticky maze and onto the lawn of the State Library for this year’s Children’s Book Festival! There will be characters springing to life from the pages of famous books, giant word games, comic workshops and loads more.
A ton of your favourite writers and illustrators are going to be there, too – John Marsden talks about how to make words do what you want them to do, Jackie French knows everything there is to know about digging out secrets, and Sally Rippin will spill the beans about her famous characters, Billie B Brown and best friend Jack! Or listen to stories all day long in our storytelling pavilion.
If you fancy having a go at book-writing yourself, head to the publishing house, where you can design one from scratch, or dive in and help build the biggest book ever. There will be music too, and guest stars so exciting you’d explode if we told you who they were. Seriously.
The day will be jam-packed with authors and activities, with a huge range of things to do all day long so pop in at any time. We’re taking bookings for sessions with Jackie French, John Marsden, Terry Denton and Andy Griffiths, from 14 March. Get in quick – these free sessions will book out. If you miss out, don't worry; you can still bring your book along to be signed by your favourite author.
So circle Sunday 23 March with a red pen and check the program to plan your day. The Festival is free, and everyone is welcome. Come down and join us for the book party.
The exciting program of events includes:
- Meet the Authors and Illustrators – Experimedia (set times, bookings required)
- Workshop Zone – The Wheeler Centre (set times)
- Artist in Residence – Roving (all day)
- Book Signings – Library Forecourt (set times)
- Outdoor Stage – Library Lawns (set times)
- Polyglot's Sticky Maze – Little Lonsdale Street (all day)
- Publishing House – Queen's Hall (all day)
- Storytelling Pavilion – Red Rotunda (all day)
- The Illustrated Index of Imagined Animals – Cowen Gallery (all day)
- Once Upon a Time – Blue Rotunda (all day)
- The Dome – La Trobe Reading Room (all day)
- Books on Film – Village Roadshow Theatrette (all day)
- On the Lawns – Library Lawns (all day)
Download the pdf at the bottom of this page to see the full program details.