Volunteer with us
Volunteers make an invaluable contribution to the Library. Our vibrant and growing volunteer community includes participants from all age groups, nationalities and walks of life.
About the Library
State Library Victoria is one of Victoria’s pre-eminent cultural institutions and a leading library of the world. Through our unique collections and wide-ranging services, we are central to the cultural life and economy of Victoria.
We are the major reference and research library in Victoria, and aim to provide Victorians and all users with ready access to a comprehensive collection of Victorian documentary material and to worldwide information resources, to enrich their cultural, educational, social and economic lives.
Innovation: we recognise and embrace new technologies, ideas and opportunities to improve, grow and develop as individuals and as industry leaders in a challenging environment.
Collaboration: we work together and with partners, sharing knowledge and resources to advance universal access to information.
Engagement: we work to understand, connect and meet the needs and expectations of our communities in the most appropriate ways.
Excellence: we provide an outstanding service at all times in a professional and ethical manner.
Respect: we strive to create an open and caring community by valuing and supporting individuals, and acknowledging the strength of diversity.
Volunteer at the Library
People aged 18 years and over are eligible to apply for volunteering opportunities. Volunteers have the opportunity to become involved in a range of front-of-house and behind-the-scenes activities at the Library:
- Volunteer greeters are stationed alongside staff at Library entry points to help welcome visitors, provide directions, escort visitors to where they need to go and refer questions to Library staff as required.
- Volunteer 'Welcome to the Library' tour guides lead tours of the Library's heritage, refurbished and new spaces, and inform visitors of exciting changes underway as part of our Vision 2020 redevelopment project.
- Volunteer exhibition tour guides lead tours of our permanent exhibitions, The changing face of Victoria and World of the book, in the Dome Galleries. Tours run every day of the week.
- Family Programs volunteers support the delivery of quality public programs, storytelling, children and family activities, and major events.
- Collection volunteers are project-based roles that may involve a range of activities such as transcribing handwritten collection items, listing collection items and assisting collection staff with special projects. Because roles for collection volunteers are project-based, recruitment is on an ad hoc basis.
The Library actively welcomes and values the unique contributions of all people. We strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, people from culturally diverse backgrounds, LGBTIQ+ people and people of all abilities to apply for volunteer roles at the Library.
State Library Victoria is a child safe organisation. If offered a volunteer role, you will need to sign our Child Safe Code of Conduct and obtain a Working with Children Check before commencing. The check is free of charge for volunteers. You can apply online for a Working with Children Check.
Current volunteering opportunities
There are no current volunteering opportunities available. Please check this page regularly for new volunteering opportunities at the Library.