Barrett Reid Scholarship
If you're employed in a Victorian public library, you can apply for a scholarship valued at up to $20,000 to support your professional development.
The scholarships can be used for a broad range of development opportunities, including:
- secondments or internships at a library service or other relevant organisation in Australia or overseas
- participation in work exchange programs or study tours organised by library associations or other bodies
- research into issues relevant and important to the future of Victorian public library services, in your own library service or other library service/s within Australia or overseas
- further education, such as university, TAFE or short courses in librarianship, leadership, management or specialist areas of study
- attendance at a conference or forum in Australia or overseas.
The Margery C Ramsay and Barrett Reid scholarships are awarded in alternating years. The Margery C Ramsay Scholarship was awarded in 2018.
Applications for the 2019 Barrett Reid Scholarship are now open. Download the application form (see More to explore, below) and read the accompanying guidelines, FAQs and research ideas documents. Applications close on Friday 24 May 2019.
For more information or assistance with queries, call the Scholarship Administrator on 03 8664 7056 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Barrett Reid AM
From 1967 to 1982, Barrett Reid AM was executive officer of the State Library's Public Libraries division. He was a strong advocate of public library services and by the time he retired, 98 per cent of Victoria's 211 local councils provided public library services.
Barrett's influence was also seen in the Victorian government's policy of joint-use libraries between local government and schools. Technilib, the cataloguing services agency, was another of his achievements.
Barrett was made a Member of the Order of Australia in 1983. He died in 1995.